Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Terri Schiavo's Autopsy Report

I read today that the autopsy report performed on Terri Schiavo (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8225637/) did indeed prove that she was brain-damaged beyond all hope of recovery. I was glad, in a way, not just because I was on the right-to-die side during the debate in the days before her death. I was glad that Michael Schiavo, not a perfect person by any means but well-meaning, I think, was right in carrying out her wishes. I was glad that the judges who ordered her feeding tube removed hadn't mistakenly ordered the death of someone who could have lived as a conscious being again with proper treatment. And, yes, I'll admit that I was glad that the plans of the far-freakin'-nutso-religious-right (I'm not talking about politically conservative Americans here, friends, I'm talking about the real crazies waaaaaay over there on the right side of the spectrum who want to make America into a scary theocracy) were thwarted once by the judges and then again by the autopsy report.

Perhaps I should not have been party to the whole media mess that turned one family's battle into an ugly national brawl. If you've come here and slapped your forehead and gone "Oh, NO. Not another Terri Schiavo blog!!!" then I'm sincerely sorry. I sure didn't like hearing about it, but I followed it and am now commenting because I feared at that time that the larger issue was going to be exploited by the government and the already mentioned religious groups. I feared that yet another of our rights as individuals was going to be carved away under the guise of protecting those who can't protect themselves. Anyway...my family's having a Living Will party where we'll wine and dine a notary public and then sign and stamp and solemnly swear this summer and I guess that's one good thing that came out of the Schiavo family's difficulties.

I was so glad to find out today that what happened was the right thing for Terri, but I did and still do feel such sorrow for her parents, siblings, and husband. I hope so much that the media frenzy (which I admittedly monitored) will now die away. I pray that her family members, all of them, can now rest. Regain some sense of normalcy. Forgive themselves, if need be, forgive each other, and find peace. I'm so glad Terri's at rest.

Cerise

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home