Monday, July 25, 2005

Tommy Hilfiger Sheets

Oh, lordy, it's been a long time since I posted an entry. So sorry to those of you who continue to astonish me by showing up and looking around for new stuff. Poor suckers.

This weekend I got stuck at Macy's. You see, my brother and his wife had picked me up to go to a mutual friend's party - a lovely time was had by all, thank you to Ani and Kevin. On the way home from said party they (brother and sister-in-law, who hereafter shall be known as Chad and Kaitlyn) decided that they couldn't spend another rotten night on their old, flat pillows and had to go to Macy's RIGHT THEN to check out the bedding sale. I sympathised. Nothing's scarier than lying awake fearing that this weird insomnia might last forever if you let it go on too long. After having secured my wholehearted agreement, of course, we were off to red star land. We needed new sheets.

I found sheets in the most sublime colors, my friends. Of the Tommy Hilfiger brand. I can't remember any of the other sublime colors, though, because I saw the beautiful turqoise ones and looked no further. These sheets are headace-inducing, eye-popping, keep-you-awake-at-night electric blue. Since our goal is to paint the bedroom Pepto-Bismol and then decorate with darker sari colors, these sheets will go great with the walls. We'll never get any sleep. [My inner 18-year-old, who still strives to make me cool with all her heart, is quailing right now at the thought that I'm actually publically saying that I care about and enjoy sheet-shopping. But then, she's in a permanent state of horror that I'm an office drone instead of a rock star, too, so...]

I've loosely boycotted Tommy's stuff for quite some time now on the rumor that he had said that his clothes were never meant to be worn by people of the non-white-skin variety on an Oprah show. Since bigotry is one of my hot buttons (you don't even KNOW), I just screamed "RACIST!" and never bought his stuff. For years. Now, I've found out to my shame that this rumor, more of an urban myth, really, has no ground and has been categorically debunked by Tommy, Oprah and the Anti-Defamation League. http://www.tommy.com/help/rumor/ Of course, we'll probably never know the truth about the Inner Tommy Hilfiger and his opinions about those who do not share his skin color, but I'm choosing to believe that all's well in the Hilfiger Kingdom and that I need to study up on rumors a little more carefully as a consumer. And that's not just because the sheets are the new love of my life.

Domestically yours,
Cerise

1 Comments:

Blogger Cerise said...

Um, yes, if only you knew - we haven't actually PAINTED anywhere yet. So our whole house is a color-free zone.

I'll channel RuPaul and bring a bunch of colorful kimonos to hang on walls and fling over the lampshades. Only kidding.

We're not coming to see the guest room, my love. I'm impressed you even HAVE one, come to that.

Cerise

7/25/2005 11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home