Friday, October 17, 2008

Frightened for Jeremy

Shit. Shit, shit, shit. My old high school classmate Jeremy has been in an accident in Malawi and has been airlifted to a hospital in Johannesburg, South Africa. He has a wife (also in our class and the apple of my eye) and three kids. This is not good.

A few years ago another beloved classmate passed away climbing Mt. Rainier. By the time we all found out it was already done. He was gone.

I don't want to do this again - grieve another classmate (Ed. grieve FOR another classmate. I'm sure I GRIEVE them all the time). I know I'm jumping the gun here, since we only heard that he was in a serious accident and is in hospital. I'm obsessively checking Facebook and my email. Please, please, please, let him get through this and get well.

Who am I even praying to?

UPDATE: We got word that although he has some seriously hairy injuries (no skin left on his back, dreadful fracture of his shin that required many surgeries, etc.), he is healing rapidly - astounding his doctors, in fact - and will return home to Malawi in a matter of weeks, not months. When I found out he was alive and healing I sat down on the bed rather quickly and cried and cried. Thank...whoever. Thank you. Thank you.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heard anything about Jeremy? He's been on my heart.

10/23/2008 11:04 PM  
Blogger Cerise said...

Thank you so much, Patty. It means so much that love extends beyond actually knowing someone. I've updated the entry.

10/24/2008 7:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Cerise,
This is Beth Hoffman (nee Henderson) from RVA. I really enjoy reading you blog (I check back often in the hopes you've updated...you must be busy!).

Have you heard anything more about Jeremy?

Hope all is well,
xBeth

11/10/2008 5:01 AM  
Blogger Buttercup said...

I'm glad your friend is okay.

I just finished reading your last several blogs. I'm SO happy you're writing again, although I alternate between huge grins and tears the entire time I read.

You have a way with words...maybe you should try writing some short stories or something. Seriously.

Miss you like sin.

11/17/2008 6:18 PM  
Blogger Cerise said...

OMG, Beth!! It's so good to hear from you! I haven't been busy, unfortunately, so much as empty. It's scary to run out of words.

There's been radio silence on Jeremy after I heard that he's injured but recovering.

Min, I think as soon as I start writing for any other purpose but my own pleasure it's going to change somehow. I would hate to kill it off. Miss you like sin, too, honey, and you know how much I love sinning.

11/21/2008 10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home