Monday, September 19, 2005

Happy Birthday, Aly!

Yesterday one of my favorite people on the planet turned 30. Not for anyone would I come out of my writing hiatus, but The Day Aly Was Born ought to be a national holiday - not an American holiday, necessarily - perhaps the French could do right by her. I met her at the beginning of Grade 11 and was instantly swept off my feet. No, before that, because I got to (boarding) school a day before she did, and since we bore a passing resemblance to each other back then (no more, I'm sorry to say) I was hailed all day as Aly. Instant and blazing popularity were mine, since even though the mistake was almost instantly corrected by all as soon as they got a better look at me, resembling Aly, even in the smallest way, made me both an oddity and a celebrity.

My second day at school was the day I met her. I was struck instantly by her beauty, intelligence, integrity (it's amazing - you can SEE it) and kindness. And hipness. And staggering musical ability. She has a poetic, pragmatic, loving, meltingly gracious, ironic, sharp-witted, down-to-earth and wildly imaginative soul. She has recorded damned fine music, written and published a book, read nearly everything on print (I dare you to find a conversational topic she's NOT interested and at least somewhat informed in), travelled the world and generally established herself as a Renaissance Woman of the highest order. If you haven't heard of her already, you will.

And she caps all of this by calling me her friend. I know, Dear Reader, that you all have people in your life, a Holy Circle, of friends and/or family members who never cease to astonish you with how extraordinary they are, how much they know, how many different things they can do. And members of this circle also amaze you because they love you - truly - and find worth in you that you never knew of and that they in turn find astounding to behold. You feel beyond blessed, beyond lucky, to both know them and be loved by them. Ramon's in mine, of course, as is my brother Chad and my sister Kaitlyn.

And so is Aly. Here's to you. [raises a pint of Hammerhead] Thank you for being born, my dear. Thank you for letting me into your life.

Cerise

P.S. Your presents are late. Sorry-kins.

6 Comments:

Blogger Cerise said...

Overwhelmed? I could've said more.

You contain universes.

Cerise

9/19/2005 5:42 PM  
Blogger Cerise said...

Oh, and thank you, by the way. The fact that the feeling is mutual and I believe you when you say it means so much.

Cerise

9/19/2005 5:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What? No love for Buffy? Nice.

9/19/2005 6:24 PM  
Blogger Cerise said...

Oh, sh*t. I knew I was going to get skewered for forgetting someone I adored. This was a birthday message for ALY and I turned it into an (very, VERY incomplete) inventory of people I dig. I'm the worst writer on the planet.

[editing now]

I do love you so, little sister. Please forgive.

Cerise

9/20/2005 8:12 AM  
Blogger introspectre said...

Awwwwww! Smoochylovekins! This is a great description of how I feel about my dear friend Doodles. She is magnificence herself, and she loves ME! I dance! I twirl! I skip through the daisies! I am bright shiny happiness, hurrah!

Yay friends!

9/23/2005 4:12 AM  
Blogger Cerise said...

[chuckle] Padoodles. [chuckle]

9/23/2005 8:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home