Wednesday, December 14, 2005

New Sandwich

As a vegetarian who LOVES sandwiches and MISSES pastrami, let me tell you that a new sandwich creation always floats my boat. I refuse to go to Subway (the commercials alone with that dreadful man would put me off) and get the cheese 'n veggies option, I loathe black bean burgers (the vegetarian staple of most restaurants who are too je ne sais quos to serve Gardenburgers), and I'm sick to death of the following: the ubiquitous portobello burger, hummus and roasted red peppers, and [ta-DAAAA!] the ever-available Garden or Boca Burgers.

Since these are the commonest sandwich options for vegetarians and I hate them, it's up to me to find new ways of making two slices of bread very, very happy. One I made up last night:

Dark sour rye, toasted
Butter, melted on the toast [well, it's Earth Balance, actually, which I prefer]
Sliced tomatoes
Dill weed
Red pepper flakes

Heavenly...

Any sandwich options from your kitchens, my dears? Mention pastrami and I'll stuff a Subway 12" right up your butt.

Cerise

1 Comments:

Blogger introspectre said...

With a household of vegetarians (my husband and I do occasionally eat meat, I confess) I have a plethora of sandwich idears. Yep, I said Idears.

Avocados, oh yah. Have you been turned onto to Annie's Goddess Dressing? Not that Green Goddess crap, but Goddess dressing? Super garlicy. Oh the joy.

Pitas are always fun, you can stuff more in them.

A company called White Wave makes all kinds of ready flavored baked tofu varieties, excellent sliced, heated, cold, whatever. F-in TASTY. My favorite is the Thai with avacados and cucumbers.

Good old fallafel, with the Goddess dressing (although I do add hummus for fun).

One of my best friends adores some fake sandwich meat, I could find out for you what company makes it. I don't personally like the texture, but she loves the stuff.

And good old peanut butter, honey and banana sandwiches? I brought them to the beach every day this summer. Yum.

I had a friend who used to make peanut butter and marshmallow sandwiches, but that's a little over the top decadent for my taste. It was good, though, I have to confess.

Morningstar has come out with a Prime burger that tastes pretty close to the real thing- I grill them up and add colbyjack cheese. The boys love it.

Sloppy joes made with the fake hamburger crumbles, always a winner.

And I like the Morningstar breakfast links, crumbled up into scrambled eggs for that on the go breakfast sandwich, in an English muffin.

1/25/2006 6:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home