Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Beautiful Boy

We met my old friend's husband Ash a couple of weeks ago. Yesterday he turned 30. Have you ever met the significant other of a long-beloved and -missed friend? You recall, then, that not only do you have the jittery nerves accompanying the reunion with said old friend (which I did), but you also must fight the panic of meeting their chosen love. It was very important that I love him. It was important that my S.O., Ramon, at least enjoy his and Aly's company (I'm not even mentioning the pressure of having YOUR S.O. meet your old friends and desperately wanting them to get along beautifully but knowing that things don't always work out that way and trying to prepare yourself in advance to be OK with it). I knew that he was gorgeous (thank god for emailed pictures) and at least a courteous and articulate man, having spoken with him somewhat on this and other blogs. And I knew that Aly loves him.

It did indeed work out swimmingly. Ash is one of those people who puts themselves out to make things work socially from the start. And though there wasn't enough time to get to know him as well as we would have liked, we at least were exposed in great quantities to his overwhelming generosity, innate kindness, impeccable taste in clothes, enormous vocabulary (which he used tastefully and without ceremony, but still...), astoundingly funny sense of humor (helped along by his stirring rendition of "Bohemian Rhapsody" on karaoke night), heart-stopping singing voice and evident adoration of my dear friend. Not to mention that he's a sylph-like (not detracting from his masculinity, lest he come to this blog and fume), golden-haired, yellow/green-eyed surfer boy (or at least the fulfillment of this ignorant Washingtonian's idea of one) with a Ph.D. in active listening. Too good to be true? Nooo - he and Aly seem well-matched, actually. They're both deliciously larger-than-life in unguarded moments. And like I said, we weren't with him long enough, alas, to plumb his dark side. Maybe next visit.

Last of all, Ramon liked him very much. Loved him, I think, if I may say that for my poor husband (who bears his vociferous wife having a blog very well). Ramon's stamp of approval is, you can imagine, not necessary but still extremely helpful in my own assessment of other peoples' character. And Ash bore up under the scrutiny with grace and good humor.

Happy 30th birthday, my dear. Good thing I love you like a brother or Aly and I would have a serious problem...

Cerise

2 Comments:

Blogger Cerise said...

So rare. So rare.

10/27/2005 9:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A terribly overdue reply: Happy #30 Birthday Ash. Aly asked the question, "Why can't we say we like someone to their face without it being uncomfortable?" So from one suspected gay guy to another, I'd like to say that I like you. I like you a lot.

-Ramon

10/31/2005 8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home