Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Phrases I'd Write About My Friends In A Novel

Ah, if you can't think of anything clever to write on your blog, make a list! Let's see...something fun that commentors can contribute to and also self-revealing. Aha! Here we go:

Phrases I'd Write About Friends In A Novel

(note: I am not a novelist, so if these seem lame it's because, as I always annoyingly insist, I'm no writer. Especially when it's convenient to say so and I'm feeling insecure about, um, my writing.)

1. "I don't think she had ever fully realized how much space her eyes took up, even when smiling."

2. "...had anyone else ever been born whose features married lowering fierceness with wide-eyed vulnerability so beautifully?"

3. "A blue-eyed, lash-batting honey who could giggle her way through a bad joke in one second and have you reaching for your dictionary, nay, an encyclopedia, in the next."

4. "In him I could still see the child I knew, though the little one tag-teamed with the jester, tyrant, therapist and kindest friend."

5. "You'd find yourself wanting to dwell on the hard hits life had thrown her way, but her grinning blonde good-old-girl ways deflected pity better than any wordy protests of self-sufficiency could."

6. "Restless energy borne with the grace of a willow marked his every movement."

You can see that my writing about you would include more love than poetry, concise wording or good grammar, but since I DO want to be a good lover and not so much a published novelist, I'll not fret too much about the latter attributes my writing may lack.

Many of you (since I have more than 6 friends, thank you so much) are not included. Watch for addendums to this list.

Cerise

6 Comments:

Blogger Cerise said...

Um, because I'm a sodden mesh of rampant insecurity and thoughtless arrogance. Hard to get a clear thought of Who I Am, What I Can Do, and What I'm Worth in the midst of that mess. One comfort is that many people are this way...

Thank you, by the way. Very much.

1. Bananie
2. Ramon
3. Aly (forgive the lash-batting but you DO do it)
4. Nathan
5. Mindy
6. Ash

Take no offense, friends, if you're not on this list. It's by no means comprehensive.

Cerise

1/26/2006 11:45 AM  
Blogger introspectre said...

Aly H is right- those are gorgeous.

I would continue to gush, but it's 4 am and I'm awake because of nightmares. Ugh.

Really...I want to be your friend just so I can see how you would describe me!

For realsies.

2/02/2006 12:45 AM  
Blogger Cerise said...

Oh, my sweet. You are not easily thrown into one sentence. Neither is Aly, for that matter, which is why I had to revert to the lash-batting and the encyclopedia.

I will think on it. Thank you, love.

Cerise

2/02/2006 8:08 AM  
Blogger Cerise said...

Ew, nightmares? Poor Introspectre. Can't you pummell Jack or something?

I joke.

You know, I'm reading "Under the Tuscan Sun" right now. In the midst of renovating this achingly beautiful villa, our heroine, though dusty, exhausted and plagued by spiders, ivy, scorpions and snakes finds herself falling into a deep sleep every night and dreaming of good things - floating downstream in a lovely green river - all is well. Wouldn't it be nice to sleep and dream like that?

Let's move to Europe.

Cerise

2/02/2006 8:12 AM  
Blogger jcarwen said...

this is delightful. i think i may have to steal the idea for a future post of my own. like a meme, but literary.

also, everything you say about calling yourself a writer resonates with me. i took on the term a few years ago when i started occasionally getting paid for my words, but it does add a weight to my scribbling that wasn't there before.

sounds like you have wonderful friends.

4/13/2006 1:31 PM  
Blogger Cerise said...

Oof, I do. Friends of the literary, talented, intelligent and extremely funny ilk that do not take kindly to any of THEIR friends bowing down and saying "I'm not worthy!" Which is why I don't. I'm a lucky girl.

Thank you for your kind words. I've enjoyed reading your blog, though I've always thought that if I wrote for a paycheck I'd probably, perversely quit doing it.

Singing, now, that I could do for moola...

Cerise

4/13/2006 2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home