Friday, June 02, 2006

Good Friends and a Filthy Habit

Wow. One clove and a pot of wu wei and I'm loopy as hell. Here's my new favorite thing: standing on my back-alley, open-air apartment staircase landing, drinking a cup of somethin' and smoking a pretty black cigarette. The view is of...the alley, yes, but I can see Union St. and the trees over it, and I get a little strip of sky to look at, and man - nicotine makes me THINK. [For, alas, I found out that clove cigarettes, far from being just composed of cloves, have almost as much tobacco as a normal cig with some cloves thrown in there, too.] Is it the same for all you smokers out there? I get out there with a glass of two-buck-chuck, or a cup of tea or coffee and that one little cigarette and my mind goes bonkers. It's my new happy place. And I blog in my head. Now I know why writers are such champion smokers.

So, loopy. I don't know if it's cloves or tobacco (it can't be the alcohol or caffeine, because, like I said, this time it was wu wei and I'm still flying) or fresh air or WHAT, but I'm as high as if I'd taken a big hit off a pal's water bong. Mom, don't read that last bit. Seriously. I did inhale, yes, but that was the ONLY TIME. I swear. So, as you can tell, my substances, while relatively harmless (sort of harmless. Can you die from a one-clove-per-day-MAX habit?), get me feeling high and groovy and I just want to write write write about you (yes, YOU) and how much you mean to me. I swear - what a doof I am. Getting high on cloves? Cheez...

The people most responsible for my pleasures this evening?

First of all, Aly and Ash, who, while hosting Ramon and I in their beautiful California home, introduced me to the wonder of clove cigarettes, without which this long, silly, lugubrious post would not be possible. Truly - I'd say that I miss them every time I smoke one, and I do, but it wouldn't be quite accurate since I miss their company many more times than just once a day. I do miss you both - so much - out there on that breezy landing. I miss your laughs and clothes and bright eyes and brilliant ideas. And your questions about what's on my mind. Selfish me, that would be the thing I miss most about them. Just kidding.

I have Tracy to thank for the breathtaking new teapot that brewed three most excellent cups of tea. Get this (tea-philes, sit down for this one) - it's a black Brown Betty teapot. The real deal. She brought it to work today with a "pay me later" that means she'll never take money for it, never. T, seriously, you gotta let me pay. I still owe you for that esspensive glass of chardonnay at The Met and that pint of cider at Fado. I'm not kidding.

My good thoughts tonight were mostly taken up with jcarwen and yelahneb, a wonderful, wonderful couple Ramon and I met a few months ago and who continue to reveal themselves as two of the most promising friends he and I have met in a long, long time. I found them whilst trolling for fellow Seattle blogspotters (thank you, Blogspot, thank you!). Three dinners later and we're still completely in love with them. They're friendly without being creepy. Intelligent (boy howdy) without being pretentious or intimidating. Good-looking without being part of The Beautiful People that Ramon and I have zero time for. In love but not schmoopy. They're nice, they're funny, zany, normal, kind, down-to-earth, excellent-flights-of-fancy people. And did I already say they're funny? They're funny. The first time we met for dinner Ramon and I were walking home and I was chanting "Please, god, let this work out. Please." in my head. That's how cool they are.

I thought about the rest of you, too, but the buzz has worn off and now I'm ready for bed. Love to my friends - Jill, thank god you're getting help for that neck thing. I hate to think of you hurting. Dad, you're beautiful body and soul. Don't let the dickheads tell you otherwise. Nathan and Elizabeth, my best friends. How I love you. Peanut, have you learned how to laugh yet? I can't wait to see what kind of sense of humor you'll have. Mindy, time for another two-way-rant, don't you think? And last but never least - Momlies. I'm still walking around flattered as anything that you consider me a best friend. You're the finest human on the planet.

And Ramon - you gonna call me or what? When are you coming home? Quit sweeping the gallery floor and come home to your lovin' woman.

Cerise

11 Comments:

Blogger Cerise said...

WHAT?? Shit...

6/06/2006 9:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what is your email address? I attempted to email you at ceriseseattle -at- yahoo dot com but that didn't work.


Sorry for being a stalker, but I was just googling "water bong" and Clove ciggerates. I'm starting to get addicted. Here is the story, saturday night the girlfriend gave me shit, we got in a fight, I got pissed, so I was stressed. I've been off smokes since Early Jan, so I went out to Wawa (if you ever been to the philadelphia area are you'd know the obsession). I wanted a pack of cloves from my local news shop but they were closed at 9 on a saturday night. So I went to wawa and brought a pack of my marbolos. I was smoking them when I went over and talked to some friends. Next day during the day I'm still fighting with the girlfriend, I go out and buy a pack of clove ciggerates, the first time I smoked it, it was a joint, it was great shit, it mellowed me out and made me feel so fucking great. I was sooo happy. So my girlfrieend comes over we make up since I'm in the mood LET'S NOT FIGHT LET'S BE FRIENDS! Clearly I was out of my mind. She takes my marborols and breaks them all, I'm like okay. So then I start smoking these. Okay so now i'm going out there smoking a little, chilling relaxing, sitting back. I can't smoke a whole one at one time, so I short them, and save them for later. Now I have butts all over the place. They were expensive, i don't want to waste them. My girlfriend through some out and when she went home, I went into the trash after them. Anyways let me explain the thing about the water bong, I am thinking about buyign a water bong. and putting in the left over substance in there ... do you think that would work? Or is that a completely stupid idea? I just don't want anything to go to waste i love this shit.

Sorry about typing so much but right nwo my body is shaking i really am in need of lighting another one up. and sorry about my grammar, I wanna get outside as soon as i can.

6/07/2006 7:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That person is definately manic. Might want to lay off the cloves...

6/11/2006 11:16 PM  
Blogger Cerise said...

Hoo doggies.

6/12/2006 8:08 AM  
Blogger introspectre said...

Oh fuck.
I haven't wanted to smoke so badly in 5 years, damn you. And I hate cloves. Ugh.

Neck thing, working on it. The rest of it, well...I'm kicking and screaming.
I am one grumpy bitch right now.

6/12/2006 7:31 PM  
Blogger Cerise said...

Anonymous Man (I mean the guy that wants my email - from now on I'm calling you Stan),

Stan,

I'm pretty sure you could stuff the cloves & tobacco into the bong and smoke it. I'm not a bong expert by any means but I guess you could give it a try, if the stuff isn't ground too fine.

Yeah - no way would I waste a good clove. Fortunately for me (and I can't say the same for you) I have a partner who doesn't break them or flush them down the toilet or anything.

I'm flattered that you'd delay a smoke break to come talk to me. Ignore the other guy - probably my husband, anyway.

Jill, I'm so sorry about making you want to smoke. Blame Aly - she corrupted me in the first place.

As for the rest, keep on K and S, darling. Moving is moving, and better than staying still. At least you're not stagnating, right? Tortured introspection is better than television.

Cerise

6/13/2006 8:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is this, do you think you can leave us hanging for month and post a Clove high rant on the blog as a statisfactory post to last yet another month before something new? **uhhmmm** sorry, it in the morning and I haven't finished my cup of crack from Brewed Awakening.

Weeerrrddd, I dig the cloves, except I can't seem to finish one any more, could be that the taste had an upgrade a couple years ago and it's hard to look back. I like the x-tras, cause the filter leaves a tasty clove treat on the lips.

6/16/2006 9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last comment by:
el gato gordo
www.jetteson.com

6/16/2006 9:29 AM  
Blogger jcarwen said...

ah, cloves... i had my first one when i was 16. my friend Tara and I smoked them -- and a generous quantity of peach schnapps -- while hiding between cars in the driveway in front of my house. it's one of my first memories of being "bad" and will always be sweet.

no more for me though. i love smoking so much, and i'd be a chainsmoker if only there were some cancer-free stink-free version of the cigarette. since there's not, i broke the habit some years back. now neb and I have an arrangement that i'm only allowed to smoke when hanging out with two particular college friends, both of whom live on the other side of the continent.

thanks for the kind words. i'm glad to hear you don't think we're "schmoopy." neb can definitely be schmoopy and he tends to get his feelings hurt if i try to deter his PDA.

6/26/2006 8:55 AM  
Blogger Cerise said...

Awwww - how can you deter PDA from lil' Neb? Those eyes! The speeches when we get going about sci fi (oh, ah, every time we meet)! Heartless woman, you are.

Just kidding. Just shove and yell "Gerroff!" Doing it in British will hurt him less. [giggle]

Cerise

8/23/2006 4:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

interesting story.... I have to suggest visit this shop: http://www.water-bongs-glass-pipes.com/ really great

12/18/2007 9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home