Wednesday, August 23, 2006

In case you haven't gotten that I'm weird as hell...

(Oh, ah, come on in [brushes away cobwebs in the doorway]. Right, so, I suck - yep - haven't written anything since June. JUNE, people. I am never going to get to Dooce-level popularity that way. Huh-uh. Sorry for the long hiatus. No excuse, really. It's not like I've been doing any deep thinking or anything. Noooo.)

Onward.

So I was walking to the bus stop this morning, groggy, slightly breathless (it's all uphill. Both ways. Barefoot in knee-deep snow. All year). I smacked the pedestrian button a good one, since today (it's unprecedented) I actually have time to wait for my light instead of hurtling across the street on a red, praying to Dear Buddha and Baby Jesus to spare my life.

So I'm standing there, enjoying just standing - note to Seattleites that have lived here longer than my own 3 years. Do you EVER get used to the bloody hills? - and it got into my head that a crow (maybe a raven. You know? Since it's my blog and I don't know any better I'm going to call it a raven) is on the light pole across the street, cawing away and I just now noticed it. She was so beautiful (since it's - as I said - my blog, the raven's a girl); sleek black with beautiful lines and delicate feet. I think her head-cock action was so that she could beady-eye me, but I'm not sure. Felt like she was looking at me...I remember thinking that I was just woozy enough from it being 7:30 and not 10:30 (my preferred time of being up and about and not a second earlier) to be looking for omens, but that I'd never thought of black birdies as BAD omens, really, and this one was too damned pretty to bode anything but good.

"Hello, little sister," I thought, smiling up at her. Hey, this whole post is about how strange I am, OK? We've only just begun. I greet trees sometimes. Anyway. I noticed that she'd be quiet for a second, then caw a certain number of times - four, I counted (weird. And slightly OCD) - over and over. Four every time.

"Four? Four's not my number, really. Can I get a five (2 and 5 and 7 are 'friendly' numbers in my head. Weird weird weird)? I suppose seven's too much to ask, huh?" I'm thinking this. At least I don't talk this stuff through aloud, all right?

"Caw. Caw. Caw. Caw. Caw."

I'm not kidding, mes amies. 5 calls RIGHT THEN. I'm crossing the street now, taking a treacherous moment to double-take the lovely creature. She really gave me five. Un-freakin'-believable.

Another second, then she's back to four calls. Over and over. And I'm walking away wondering what it all means.

See? I'm crazy. And I'll write more of this loopy goodness, I swear. No more leaving and letting the blog get all moldy.

Cerise

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me + You = TOTAL LOVE.

That's as deep as I can get currently, but more on that soon. I promise.

Good to have you back. I miss you. Mooooooooooooooooooooose!
Wait, I mean, CAW!

8/25/2006 2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cerise - so good to have you back! I've been checking your blogs for weeks hoping to find a new entry.
Thank you! Don't stop writing.

8/28/2006 6:15 AM  
Blogger Cerise said...

Thank you, darling. Now...[leans in] who are you? Give me a clue.

Cerise

8/28/2006 1:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Caw Caw Caw Caw Caw Caw Caw...a little delyaed since I had grown tired of checking your blog, only to be disappointed at re-reading the same posts. Velcome back!

8/30/2006 9:16 AM  
Blogger Cerise said...

Yeah, yeah...

8/30/2006 11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home